Antiplatelet agents used for stroke prophylaxis in patients with AF
|aMay be considered for stroke prevention in patients who refuse oral anticoagulant therapy but cannot tolerate ASA plus clopidogrel; bMay be considered in patients who refuse oral anticoagulant therapy.381|
|ADP, adenosine diphosphate; AF, atrial fibrillation; ASA, acetylsalicylic acid; od, once daily.|
|ASA||Irreversibly inhibits the COX-1 enzyme||75–325 mg oda,b||ACTIVE-W176|
|Clopidogrel||Thienopyridine – irreversibly binds to the ADP receptor P2Y12||75 mg od, administered in combination with ASA 75–100 mg dailyb||
- 176 - Connolly S, Pogue J, Hart R, et al; ACTIVE Writing Group on behalf of the ACTIVE Investigators. Clopidogrel plus aspirin versus oral anticoagulation for atrial fibrillation in the Atrial fibrillation Clopidogrel Trial with Irbesartan for prevention of Vascular Events (ACTIVE W): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2006;367(9526):1903-1912.
- 175 - Connolly SJ, Pogue J, Hart RG, et al; ACTIVE Investigators. Effect of clopidogrel added to aspirin in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med. 2009;360(20):2066–2078.
- 127 - Hart RG, Pearce LA, Aguilar MI. Meta-analysis: antithrombotic therapy to prevent stroke in patients who have nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Ann Intern Med. 2007;146(12):857-867.
- 22 - Fuster V, Rydén LE, Cannom DS, et al. ACC/AHA/ESC 2006 Guidelines for the Management of Patients with Atrial Fibrillation: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the European Society of Cardiology Committee for Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Revise the 2001 Guidelines for the Management of Patients With Atrial Fibrillation): developed in collaboration with the European Heart Rhythm Association and the Heart Rhythm Society. Circulation. 2006;114(7):e257-e354.
- 393 - Singer DE, Albers GW, Dalen JE et al. Antithrombotic therapy in atrial fibrillation: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines (8th Edition). Chest 2008;133:546S–592S.
- 381 - Camm AJ, Lip GYH, De Caterina R et al. 2012 focused update of the ESC Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation: An update of the 2010 ESC Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation. Developed with the special contribution of the European Heart Rhythm Association. Eur Heart J 2012:In press.
- 394 - Baigent C, Blackwell L, Collins R et al. Aspirin in the primary and secondary prevention of vascular disease: collaborative meta-analysis of individual participant data from randomised trials. Lancet 2009;373:1849–1860.
- 383 - You JJ, Singer DE, Howard PA et al. Antithrombotic therapy for atrial fibrillation: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest 2012;141:531S–575S.
- 379 - Fuster V, Ryden LE, Cannom DS et al. 2011 ACCF/AHA/HRS focused updates incorporated into the ACC/AHA/ESC 2006 guidelines for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Circulation 2011;123:e269–e367.
- Vitamin K antagonists
- Vitamin K antagonists block the regeneration of the reduced form of vitamin K.
- American College of Chest Physicians
- Multidisciplinary international medical society based in Northbrook, Illinois, USA, that focuses on the treatment and prevention of all diseases of the chest. It has over 16,000 active members with physicians representing all chest medicine disciplines. Publishes the journal Chest.
- Oral antiplatelet agent used in the treatment of coronary artery disease, peripheral vascular disease and cerebrovascular disease.